Restoration of the Kingdom of God - 5
In the vision which John recorded in Revelation 7:9, he saw “a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands.”
- These are people whose sins have been forgiven - Isaiah 1:18 “Come now, and let us reason together, says the Lord, Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool.”
- The palm branches are an expression of rejoicing - during the feast of booths Israel was to Leviticus 23:40 “...take for yourselves...branches of palm trees...and you shall rejoice before the Lord your God...”
Does that numberless great multitude mean that it will be everyone who will rejoice to receive immortal life at Christ’s return?
- That cannot be, because they are described in Revelation 7:14 “ the ones who... washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.” John the Baptist said that Lamb is Jesus - John 1:29.
So does it mean that all Christians will be made immortal at Christ’s return?
- Jesus warned, Matthew 7:13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.14 "Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.15 "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.”
It was these early false teachers who would corrupt believers from the apostolic doctrine -
- 2 Peter 2:1 “...there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies...2 And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed”.
This means that for most of the Christian era, “the way of truth” taught by the apostles would be regarded as error by the mainline churches of Christendom. Those who could be saved were reduced to an insignificant minority at any given time.
That “great multitude” of the redeemed, “which no one could number” will be the sum total of those minority faithful, taken from every age between the time of Adam until the return of Christ - John 11:52.
What can we do to ensure that we will be among the redeemed? Romans 1:17 “...The just shall live by faith [= belief].”
- Romans 10:17 “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” That word has been written down in the sixty-six books of the Bible.
Since current Christendom has been corrupted by the false teachings of pagan concepts and other human philosophy, the only safe way is to read for yourself the Original Teaching which was written down by divine inspiration in the Bible.
John 8:32 Then “you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free” from sin and death.